What does it look like?
- Areas of water flow blocked by string algae
- Cotton wool like string algae choking the pond
- Green stringy plants stuck to side of the pond
What are the fish doing?
- Can reduce swimming areas – fish may be in one area of the pond
- In extreme cases may reduce oxygen causing fish gasping and rapid gill movement
What should I do?
- Manually remove as much string algae as possible
- Test your ponds pH – A high pH may have caused the outbreak
- Treat the cleared pond with Pond Balance and Barley
- Encourage good plant growth by cutting away dead plants and adding good nutrients in plant food – Cut out light by planting floating pond plants (Lilies) or create some level of shade over the pond to prevent an over exposure of sunlight